Western Instruments N88-9B-D Basic Bridging Pit Gauge 5-1/2" Long, Digital Indicator
Price: $ 570.00
Measuring Range: 0.0-0.5" (0.0 - 12.7 mm)
Resolution: 0.001" (0.01 mm)
Dial Diameter: 1.4" (35.5 mm)
Available with dial or digital indicators
The Western Instruments N88-9B Basic Bridging Pit Gauge allows the CorrosionInspector to Span over or Cantilever into Large Areas of WeightLoss Corrosion, to obtain accurate and consistentmeasurements, or cross sections, of Pit Depth. As conditionsdictate, the operator can simply use the Main Blade or canassemble the Bridging Pit Gauge up to an over all length of28 (725mm).
The contact Surfaces (Blades)of the Bridging Pit Gauge arefitted with an exclusive KnifeEdge, so they can be used onFlat, ID (Convex), and OD(Concave) Surfaces, where aflat or notched contact surfacecan introduces error onConvex Surfaces. Like ourStandard Pit Gauges, theKnife Edge gives the operatora clear view of the contactpoint, and the area being inspected.
With the addition of the optional Magnetic Hold Downs, theoperator uses their width to quickly align the Bridging PitGauge System to a curved surface. This leaves his handsfree to scan through very large areas of weight loss corrosion.This holds true when the Bridge Elements have beenassembled with a slight contour on an irregular surface.
- N88-9 Bridging Pit Gauge Indicator (Inch, Metric or Digital)
- N88-9-1 Main Blade - Center and End Dial Indicator Mounting Positions, Fitted Permanent Magnets. Cutaway Nose for next to welds. 5.5 (144mm) long.
- N88-9-7 Fastener Kit (Hardware) - Fasteners, Allen Key, Nylon Thumb Screws, #1 Contact Point-Standard.
- N88-9-8 Carrying Case - Hard Sided Plastic Carrying Case for entire kit
- Operator Manual
Zeroing Dial Indicator
- The vertical position of the Contact Point, needs to be Zeroed with respect to the Knife Edge of the Blade.
- Zeroing can be accomplished in two ways; by adjusting the Height of the Dial Indicator in the Blade; or by Rotating the outer Bezel Scale while pressing on the Plunger onto a flat surface.
- To quickly check the Zero Point of the Dial indicator, place the Blade on a representative smooth surface.
- Gently press the Plunger, until the contact point touches the surface.
- While the contact point is on the surface, loosen the Bezel Lock, and rotate the Bezel Scale until it reads '0' with respect to the pointer.
- Loosen the Fastener(s) holding the Dial Indicator in place.
- Hold the Blade firmly on a Flat Surface, and gently press the body of the Dial Indicator down until the contact point touches the flat surface.
- Carefully re-tighten the Clamp Fastener(s) or the Set Screw.
- Any fine zeroing can be done by rotating Bezel Scale on the Indicator.
- Height Zeroing should be done, whenever the unit is put into to use.
Zeroing a Digital Indicator
- Digital Indicators can be Height Zeroed or Positioned in the same way as a Mechanical Dial Indicator.
- To Zero the Digital Indicator simply press the Zero Button when the Contact Point is on a reference point. If the Digital Indicator is Height Zeroed, press Zero when the Plunger is fully retracted.
- To select Metric or Imperial Measurement, simply press the mm/in Button.Whennot in use, press the On/Off Button to turn the Indicator off.
- The position (or rotation) of the Dial indicator can be changed by simply loosening the Clamp Fasteners or Set Screw, and rotate the Dial Indicator about the Blade.
- After the Dial Indicator is rotated, the unit should be Dial Zeroed.
Magnetic Hold Downs
- Magnetic Hold Downs are intended for Scanning with a Bridging Pit Gauge,however they can be used on any of the Jr. Bridging Pit Gauge Group, witha diminished range of motion. Magnetic Hold Downs also provide theinspector with increased mobility, as he is not required to support theBridging Pit Gauge.
|Dial and Digital Indicators |
|Metric Dial Indicator||Range:|
|0.0-12.7 mm |
|Imperial Dial Indicator||Range:|
56 mm, 2.2"
|Measuring Corrosion (Depth) |
|1-Standard Tip||0.040" diam.||#1 Contact Point-Standard N88-S |
|2-Conical Tip||0.010" diam.||#2 Contact Point-Conical N88-C |
|3-Needle Tip||0.005" diam.||#3 Contact Point-Needle N88-N |
* Western offers a variety of Contact Points, which are all 0.625" (16mm) long.Any ADG Contact point can be used with our specialdial indicators, but a different length may affect Height Zeroing, or the vertical position of the Dial Indicator. Contact Points are easily replaced, by extending the Contact Point , and turning it counter clockwise.